OMERS Strategic Investments (OSI) serves and important and unique role within OMERS, one of Canada’s largest pension funds with net assets of more than $60 billion. OSI acts as the corporate development arm of OMERS seeking to establish long-term, strategic partnerships with like-minded investors globally as well as a source of investment opportunities that benefit the OMERS enterprise but may fall outside the current mandates of OMERS other investment entities. OSI currently manages over $2 billion in committed capital on behalf of OMERS. For more information please visit www.omers.com/investments/Strategic_Investments.
OSI is currently seeking an Analyst to join its growing investment team. The position requires excellence in the financial aspects of M&A as well as an ability to excel in performing in an environment of dynamism and ambiguity. The ideal candidate will have private equity investment experience, either as a principal or in an advisory capacity.
Scope of Position
The Analyst will join a small, highly focused OSI investment team and be an integral part of making investments and managing them for long term sucess. The Analyst will participate in all aspects of the investment process, with a primary focus on developing and auditing financial models and due diligence. Following successful acquisitions, the Analyst will participate in asset management responsibilities, including budgeting, review of financial statements and other company reporting materials and annual valuations.
The position is located in OMERS head office in Toronto although extensive, global travel is anticipated in keeping with the global nature of OSI’s investment strategy.
- Conduct critical review of the integrity of detailed investment models prepared by external parties in order to assist with the assessment of potential investments
- Use key insights from industry and company analyses to develop financial models for assessment of potential investments
- Provide support in due diligence on investment opportunities Provide support in the preparation of internal documentation for new investments
- Conduct industry and company research company/industry developments
- Review financial reports prepared by portfolio companies’ management and prepare investment monitoring memorandums that include analyses of operating results and variances
- Provide support in quarterly and annual valuations of the portfolio companies
- A minimum of two to three years of experience in investment banking, private equity or transactional corporate development and M&A
- University degree with excellent academic track record required; CFA or CBV designation or program participation is highly desirable
- Excellent analytical, quantitative and financial modeling skills, both in terms of building models and assessing the reasonableness of model outputs
- Strong attention to detail; seeks to clarify ambiguity wherever possible
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Intellectually curious and interested in a diversity of industries
- Excellent judgment; able to think strategically, develop situational analysis and make independent decisions within a collegial team setting