Requests for Proposals 2020 CBV Institute Research Initiative
Founded in 1971, CBV Institute is a fast-growing and professional organization comprising of Canadian business valuation professionals, recognized around the world for its high standards and best practices. CBV Institute educates and accredits professionals in the highly specialized discipline of business and intangible asset valuation.
CBV Institute’s Sponsored Research Initiative was started in 2004 to foster original research in business valuation and related topics. Since its inception, the initiative has annually sponsored CBVs, academics, and students to further innovative research in the business valuation field.
The selected research proposal is eligible for compensation of up to $10,000 for completion of the selected research project. For the current competition Canadian academics, students and valuation practitioners are encouraged to submit their proposal by the deadline of July 1, 2020.
To encourage and support research activities, culminating in useful and relevant research papers on emerging issues of interest to business valuation professionals.
Submit proposal meeting the following criteria (deadline July 31, 2020)
- Description of research topic.
- Explanation of how the research topic will further the CBV Institute’s objective above.
- A research plan outlining sub topics within the scope of the research.
- A listing of preliminary research sources and methodologies to be employed and any potential challenges to gather the required information.
- Identification of any and all existing and potential conflicts of interest.
- Disclosure of funding from other sources for the proposed research paper.
- A panel of CBVs selected by CBV Institute (the “CBV Panel”) will review the proposals submitted based on the criteria stated above and make its selection by August 31, 2020.
- Any topic related to business valuation will be considered, including (but not limited to) topics relating to business or securities valuation, intangible asset valuation, loss quantification, and practice management matters, etc. The topics from previous winners are below.
- The CBV Institute Panel may select one or more research proposals. The maximum total compensation for each proposal selected for the 2020 Initiative is $10,000. Compensation offered for any individual research paper may be less than $10,000 depending on the topic, and the perceived interest of the paper to the membership. CBV Institute and the successful Respondent(s) will be required to enter into an agreement for rights and responsibilities in connection with the awarded Proposal and completed research paper.
- The CBV Panel is not obligated to award the entire $10,000 compensation under the 2020 Initiative.
Submission of Draft
The successful Respondent(s) will issue an original draft research paper to the CBV Panel on or before January 31, 2020. The draft report shall be 100% complete, subject to review and comments by the CBV Panel.
Paper Completion and Submission
- After review by the CBV Panel and consideration of the comments by the CBV Panel, the Respondent shall submit a final version of the research paper by March 31, 2020 for consideration by the CBV Panel.
- An abstract (i.e., practitioner-friendly summary of the paper summarizing key findings of the research and highlighting the application, implication, and relevance to the practicing CBV professional) will be required for publication by CBV Institute no later than April 30, 2020.
CBV Institute shall be entitled, in its sole discretion, to publish the final version of the research paper(s) on the CBV Institute website, in the CBV Institute’s Journal of Business Valuation, or in any other CBV Institute publication and distribute the research paper(s) in any format including, but not limited to online format. No additional compensation will be paid to the author of the research paper.
On merit, CBV Institute may pay compensation of up to $10,000 to the author; the amount compensated will depend on the topic and the perceived interest of the paper to the membership.
The compensation to be paid to an awarded author will be 25% upon proposal selection and signing of the rights agreement, 50% upon receipt of a draft considered suitable in the absolute discretion of the Research Institute Committee and 25% following receipt of the final version and the summary, in accordance with the process outlined above.
- The research topic(s) must meet the stated objective of this RFP.
- The research papers must be original work without any restrictions on publication by CBV Institute.
- Proposals, research papers and summaries must be submitted electronically.
- The research paper must maintain an appropriate quality standard as assessed by CBV Institute.
- Each stage of the research paper and summary must be completed within the stated deadlines.
Submit the proposal to CBV Institute at:
RFP SUBMISSION DEADLINE: July 31, 2020
PROPOSAL SELECTION: August 31, 2020
DRAFT PAPER SUBMISSION: February 28, 2021
FINAL PAPER SUBMISSION: April 30, 2021
NOTIFICATION OF PUBLICATION: June 1, 2021