Membership Qualification ExaminationSee the registration form below.
The MQE is written after completion of CBV Institute’s Program of Studies.
The MQE tests a candidate’s competency in content covered by the mandatory courses (i.e. Levels I, II, III and IV). All content from these courses is testable on the MQE.
The examination fee for the 2020 MQE is $1,370.
A surcharge of $200 is applicable to candidates writing outside Canada and USA. Payment of this fee is made on application to write the MQE.
Date of 2020 MQE
Wednesday, September 30, 2020 (4 hours duration)
February 24, 2020
Registrations to write the 2020 MQE will not be accepted after May 31, 2020, with the exception of those Students writing their last exam in the 2020 Summer Term
CFA Level III Candidates
For CFA Level III Candidates writing the CFA Level III exam in June and hoping to apply for exemption from CBV Institute’s two elective courses requirement, and wish to write the MQE in the same year, please contact Isabel Natale, Registrar and Manager of Education, before June 19, 2020. firstname.lastname@example.org
Qualification to Write MQE
CBV Institute’s Program of Studies must be completed before registering to write the MQE.
MQE Study Material
Available once a Student applies to write the MQE.
- Automatic online access to prior MQEs and suggested solutions
- Online access to current course notes for the four mandatory courses
- Access is only for Student use for study purposes.
Competencies Areas Tested
- Value Terms and Principles
- Valuation Methods
- The Valuation or Litigation Support Assignment
- Professional Conduct
- Specific Issues Encountered in Valuation or Litigation Support Assignments
- The Law Relevant to Valuation and Litigation Support
- Taxation Issues Relevant to Valuation and Litigation Support
- Professional Competence Skills
View MQE competence framework for more details.
- No refund will be made for cancellations after July 31, 2020.
- MQE registrations cancelled before July 31, 2020 are eligible for a refund of the registration fee, less the retention of a cancellation fee of $175.
- MQE registrations cancelled after July 31, 2020 are not eligible for refund, nor will fees be carried over to a subsequent year.
Accommodations for Disabilities
Please review our policy
Accommodations for Registered Students and MQE Candidates With Disability.
Applications for such accommodations must be received by the Director of Education by May 31, 2020.
For further information, please contact:
Director of Education and Accreditation
- CBV Institute’s Board of Examiners oversees development of the MQE.
- MQE questions are developed by CBVs to meet assessment requirements outlined in the Membership Qualification Examination Competence Framework.
- MQE question papers are available in French and English. Candidates may respond using either language.
- Examination Centers are administered by York University, and their designates.
- To maintain anonymity during the marking process, the only identification candidates may use is their assigned candidate number. Candidate numbers will be issued by the Institute in advance of the MQE.
- Examinations are marked by CBVs.
- A minimum mark of 60% is required to pass the MQE.
- CBV Institute’s Board of Examiners approves the MQE results.
- By late November or early December, candidates are notified when marks will be available.
- A candidate’s MQE marks will be posted in the “Marks” section of the Student profile on cbvinstitute.com
Candidates who are not successful on the MQE may request an appeal of their examination results within 30 days of receiving their mark.
Please see Membership Qualification Examination Appeal Process
CBV Institute’s Academic Honesty Policy
CBV Institute’s Examination Rules Policy
York University’s Academic Honesty Policy
Number of MQE Attempts
- A candidate may write the MQE a maximum of three times.
- If a candidate is not successful after three attempts, he/she must retake the four mandatory courses (Level I, Level II, Level III, and Level IV).
- Upon successful completion of the four mandatory courses, the candidate may write the MQE an additional three times.
Please see Administration of MQE policy for more details.
For further information, please contact:
Registrar & Manager of Education
You do not currently meet the requirements for MQE. See above for requirements.