About Grant Thornton LLP
Grant Thornton LLP is a leading Canadian accounting and advisory firm providing audit, tax and advisory services to private and public organizations. Together with the Quebec firm Raymond Chabot Grant Thornton LLP, Grant Thornton in Canada has approximately 4,000 people in offices across Canada, and annual revenues of more than $460 million. Grant Thornton LLP is a Canadian member of Grant Thornton International Ltd, whose independent member firms operate in close to 100 countries worldwide.
Grant Thornton has been recognized by the Great Place to Work Institute as one of Canada’s Best Workplaces for the last four consecutive years. In 2011 our firm ranked as the 5th Best Workplace in Canada, for companies with more than 1000 employees. We are also very proud to be recognized as one of Canada’s top 25 Best Workplaces for Women. Currently, we are successfully executing an ambitious strategy to establish a distinctive leadership brand in each of the markets in which we operate. It’s a very exciting time for our firm – we have the resources to compete, and the culture to differentiate.
A career in our Advisory Services team with Grant Thornton will provide you an opportunity to:
- Work with a team of professionals including financial experts, business valuators, chartered accountants, forensic accountants and other professional advisers who are committed to and understand entrepreneurial people and organizations;
- Be part of a unique work culture that challenges you to further your professional development and expand your chosen career path;
- Be part of a fast growing environment with well respected professionals who are locally renowned in their respective field;
- Develop solutions with clients and co-workers through collaborative debate and discussion;
- Be engaged with clients on a variety of local and national projects;
- Work with purpose and have a meaningful impact on our clients, staff and partners; and
- Advance at pace with your skills, experience and business development success.
Why choose Grant Thornton?
At Grant Thornton you can make a difference every day. We have more offices across Canada than any other professional services firm, allowing us to be down the street from clients, not just downtown. We are independent in Canada with access to global resources, expertise and opportunities. Our professionals are renowned experts in their field who provide high level technical expertise. A greater variety of client files to work on means that, at Grant Thornton, you can do more, faster. We provide a competitive salary and a flexible benefits package. We respect people’s lives outside of work and provide flexibility, where possible. Our firm is recognized for quality, and we are a trusted brand on the move!
As a Manager in Advisory Services your responsibilities will include:
- Leading the preparation of valuation of assets and business interests for a wide range of purposes, such as: mergers and acquisitions, litigation support, taxation, public offerings, fairness opinions, management buy-outs, and shareholder disputes;
- Preparation of purchase price allocations and goodwill impairment testing under Canadian GAAP including Accounting for Private Business and International Financial Accounting Standards;
- Leading the development of complex financial models for the purpose of sourcing, negotiating and obtaining financing opportunities for all aspects of business operations;
- Assisting as part of the team of professionals supporting clients with all aspects of the purchase and sale of a business;
- Development of financial models used in providing forensic accounting and litigation support involving complex financial accounting circumstances, including: business loss quantification disputes, interpretation of agreements and arbitration;
- Assisting the team in investigating allegations of cash misappropriation, fraud and other financial irregularities;
- Analyzing and preparing business interruption claims;
- Acting as a mentor for the development of junior level resources;
- Ensuring the Advisory Practice maintains compliance/due diligence standards with established operational procedures;
- Actively assisting the Partners with maintaining the operational excellence of the advisory practice through best practice billing, collections, scheduling and engagement management;
- Maintaining a business development mind set which focuses on development of relationships and actively anticipating client and market needs; and
- Assisting the Partners and Principals of Advisory Services with increased brand awareness in the market place.
The skills and behaviors required for this position include:
- Completion of an advanced level degree (Masters) or professional accounting designation (CA, CMA,CPA);
- Enrolled and near the completion of a specialist designation (i.e. Chartered Business Valuator “CBV” or Investigative and Forensic Accountant “IFA” or Chartered Financial Analyst “CFA”);
- Proficiency in Microsoft PowerPoint, Word and Outlook;
- Excellent Microsoft Excel skills, including the ability to work with and develop complex financial models;
- Strong online research database skills;
- Demonstrated working knowledge in both financial accounting and financial statement analysis;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills as well as time and project management skills;
- Engagement, file preparation and file management;
- Ability to interview professionals at all levels;
- Confident and team focused, able to interact well with peers and clients;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Well-developed analytical and problem-solving skills; and
- A client-focused approach to work.
In addition, the following skills would be considered an asset:
- Previous business valuation experience, within the context of: fair value accounting, tax planning, litigation support, damage/loss quantification, etc.;
- Previous experience in forensic and investigative accounting;
- Previous experience in calculating business interruption claims;
- Previous experience in Merger and Acquisition environments;
- Previous experience in a finance or investment banking role; and
- Demonstrated ability in sales and business development.
Our unique culture
Our clients tell us that they do business with Grant Thornton because of the quality of our people. We have a talented, intellectually curious team and a unique culture that we work hard to preserve. We want you to achieve your full potential and are aware that our success as an organization depends on each of our people building strong and challenging careers for which they can be proud. Using our values as our guide, we empower our people to make a difference in every interaction with one another, with clients, and in the communities in which we work and live.
Located at the tip of the Bay of Fundy, Moncton is viewed as the “hub” of Atlantic Canada. With its diverse heritage and rich history, it is home to many of New Brunswick’s top attractions. Not only is it minutes away from beautiful stretches of beaches with the warmest water north of the Carolinas but Moncton and surrounding areas offer breathtaking scenery, the tidal bore and arguably the best retail shopping in Atlantic Canada. Moncton has also been voted as one of Canada’s “top places to live” and most polite and honest city with the lowest crime rates in Canada. It is the perfect place to enjoy a “quality of life” with a typical commute to work averaging a mere 10 minutes and a lowered cost of living so you can spend more time on “enjoying” life. With over 60 professionals in our downtown office, we are Atlantic Canada’s largest accounting firm and a dominant player in the market.. We are active in our communities and, as a result, the Grant Thornton brand is well known and very highly regarded.
The application process:
We invite you to experience our unique culture and become a valued member of our team. Please begin by completing and submitting, in confidence, an on-line application via our careers website located at: